With discipline comes organization, strength of purpose, determination and success. Without discipline there is disorganization, confusion and failure. Carry each job to completion, this is to avoid confusion. Back your organized effort with enthusiasm, faith and integrity.
— Brian Adams
How do you have your team produce extra ordinary results? I have been working and coaching business’ for over 10 years and not only is that their question but mine as well. This industry has a plethora of people and personalities and because we are creative birds it can be challenging to harness the energy in a productive manner!
We have an exceptional team, in part because of our picking process and how we interview. We test our teammates before we hire them to ensure they are the right team members and they are matched up to the right job.
We have also found a structure that works well and supports us in producing some extra ordinary result!
Here is a simple but effective system to have you and your team operating at optimum level!
- It is important to realize that nothing in the world takes the place of persistence! Not talent, education, personality- just good old fashion persistence! Don’t lose time in conflict: lose no time in doubt, time can never be recovered and if you miss an opportunity it may take many lives before another comes your way again. Persistence keeps you focused and intentional!
- Accountability for the results! Does your team know what roles, jobs and responsibilities they are accountable for? How many clients do they need to see each day, week, and month? What does their average sale need to be? What if I don’t produce that result? What consequences will they face?
- There must be an action plan and a set of action steps for each person on the team! When do you want each action item to be completed? What specifically do you want done as well! The clearer your expectations are the easier it is to fulfill upon it!
- Request for help! This is a big one, especially for someone who is used to being the lone ranger -you know, the person who does it all! But if you are stuck and not moving forward do you have someone you can ask for help and that would be willing to support you unconditionally. Do you know how to ask for help? Now, that may sound silly, but I have a hard time asking someone to help me accomplish what I feel like I should be able to do myself! So, my system is really easy, I ask if there is any way that they could assist me in my project! Let’s face it we all like to help people as long as you show your appreciation!
- Mentors or coaches. In life if you look at people who are accomplishing big things they almost always have a coach! Someone who can hold them accountable to the goals and objectives. Now this person isn’t your boss or your best friend, this is a neutral party that you most likely pay for their services.
- Be it! Gandhi said, “You must be the change you wish to see in the world!” Now believe me I know it’s hard to always be “ON.” But if you want someone to show up like a leader you must be a leader first. IF you want someone to help, you must help first! I used to get this confused with, “I might as well do it myself.” But that isn’t the case, it is you holding the standard in which you want people to be around you.
- Daily Actions. What actions today will get me the result I am looking for?
- Weekly Actions. Does each day bring me to the actions and the results I wish to achieve each week?
- Monthly Actions. Are my weekly actions in line with my monthly objections?
- Yearly Actions. If you plan your work and work each day, week, month, at the end of 12 months you will accomplish everything you had intended to for your year!
- Acknowledgement! I have said it before but I will say it again, what gets rewarded gets repeated! People are motivated by three things; cash, prizes and verbal recognition. I make sure I cover all bases just in case. Sometimes I give flowers, cards or just hugs, but I want my team to know that I appreciate their hard work and effort to have the company be amazing!
- Ask how you can help! Sometimes we get so caught up in our busy-ness that we forget to ask, “What can I do for you? How can I help you?” You may not always be able to help but as least your thinking of someone else besides yourself!
My biggest insight for this is the speed of the leader is the speed of the gang! If you are playing big your team is driven to play big! If your complaining about them, your life, and your clients, well guess what, they in turn are probably complaining about YOU! Remember, it is not one thing we do but all the little things we do that make a big difference!